- Project Overview
- Refurbishment Project
- User Consultation
- Collection Changes
- Library Service During Renovation Period
- Project Update
- Contact Us
Chung Chi College Elisabeth Luce Moore Library (CCL) is one of the busiest libraries on campus. Its convenient location close to the MTR and on the lower campus means that it has just over half a million visits per year. This figure is very stable, not showing a decline despite the opening of the WMY Learning Commons and the Pommerenke Student Centre nearby in 2011.
The 2014 Library survey highlight a level of dissatisfaction with current facilities at CCL. Specifically there was a demand for additional study space, computers and printing facilities. Given this challenging situation, the Library is refurbishing CCL to provide a new learning cluster with more study space on the ground floor, more shelving space for collection growth and a new RFID self-issue and return service. The refurbishment projects will start in summer, 2016.
The existing CCL collections focus on music, religion, education, sports science, performing arts and theatre. All subject areas where print collection growth is still strong.
The refurbishment project has been started since summer 2016. Our plan is to increase study and workstation space on the ground floor after implementing the RFID self-service by:
- Converting the existing G/F staff office & counter area to users’ study space. (Building work will start in Summer, 2017)
- Providing a help desk on G/F (Building work will start in Summer, 2017).
- Relocating the staff office from G/F to 2/F, utilizing the existing closed stack space, materials of which have been relocated to our Special Collections in University Library. (Building work converting 2/F closed stack room to staff office will start in end of December, 2016)
- Layout Plan: G/F (Building work will start in Summer, 2017)
By removing the counter and reconceptualising the help desk area there will be better support for users through a roving service which has been successfully implemented in the University Library and New Asia College Ch’ien Mu Library.
A more spacious learning cluster with additional seats will be provided on the ground floor. Compact shelves will be installed on the first and second floor so that additional shelving space will be created for the existing collections and its future expansion.
An open forum was held on 31st March 2016 by the Library to collect suggestions and comments from users. Consultation meetings have been arranged for the Chung Chi College.
The following collection changes in CCL have been taken since Sep 2015:
- Relocation of Japanese literature and language Collection in summer 2016
To allow space for future collection growth, the Japanese literature and language collection has been relocated to the New Asia College Ch’ien Mu Library (NAL) on the upper-campus in May 2016.
- Relocation of UCL’s Audio-Visual Collection to CCL
To facilitate users’ easy access to both print and audio visual materials in one library, the Music AV collection from the United College Wu Chung Multimedia Library have been relocated to CCL by stages.
- Relocating the Phonodisc Collection
With effect from September 5, 2015, the Phonodisc Collection has been relocated from UCL to CCL.
- Relocating the Audio CD Collection
With effect from May 19, 2016, the Audio CD Collection has been relocated from UCL to CCL.
- Relocating the Music LD Collection
With effect from October 12, 2016, the laser discs of the Music collection have been relocated from UCL to CCL.
During the renovation period in summer 2017 (May 15 to end of August 2017), the whole ground floor of CCL will be closed for building work. The existing circulation counter will be temporarily moved to the lower ground floor to continue serving our users. Arrangements during this period are as follows
- Temporary CCL Entrance / Exit on Lower Ground Floor (next to CK Tse Room) after the closure of the main door on G/F
- Circulation counter and alumni free parking redemption terminal will be temporarily moved to LG/F. User enquiry service will be available at the Circulation counter
- G/F collections will be relocated to other floors in CCL
- Reserve Book Room will be temporarily closed
- Book drop service will be temporarily suspended. Users may use the book drops at 1/F YIA, University Library or other branch libraries
- Self-service borrow and return will be temporarily suspended
- Late Reading Room will be temporarily closed (May 13 to August 21, 2017)
Tel: (852) 3943 6969